Format: 8 hours classroom plus two Full Days
Enjoy a private Level 1 avalanche class tailored specifically for you and your equipment. In conjunction with Utah Mountain Adventures, SEC instructors will arrange for the entire Level 1 avalanche curriculum to be presented to you and your party. There are many options for classroom space in the Salt Lake Valley, including the SEC home office, and the Wasatch Mountains are a great testing ground for newly developed skills. Visit this American Avalanche Association link for more details on content of this standard Level 1 class.
Certificate of completion awarded upon completion of the course.
Objectives: Upon completion of the Level 1 Avalanche for Splitboarders course, clients will understand:
- Application of the current avalanche bulletin in tour planning and travel.
- Selection of a safe route and minimization of exposure using travel protocols.
- Recognition of instabilities in the snowpack using observations and tests.
- Elementary pit profiles: hand hardness, basic grain type, and snowpack tests.
- Simple decision tools in avalanche terrain.
- Facilitation of a mock companion recovery.
In Utah, all instruction on snow occurs in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest under a Special Use Permit issued to Utah Mountain Adventures.
Find rates for indoor and outdoor instruction here.