Format: 2 hours classroom plus a Full Day
For snowboarders looking to experience the backcountry via splitboard, this course focuses on the equipment, techniques, and knowledge needed to become a competent winter backcountry traveler. Through an evening meeting and a day on the snow, participants will be introduced to the setup and use of splitboards, the equipment and logistics of backcountry touring, and avalanche safety as it relates to splitboarding. Splitboards are a great option for snowboarders traveling in the backcountry, and this course is an opportunity to learn the skills and tricks behind safe, fun, and efficient travel.
Objectives: Upon completion of the Introduction to Splitboarding course, clients will understand:
- Care and use of splitboard, skins, poles, and other related backcountry travel gear.
- General backcountry touring information regarding equipment, hazards, and the daily routine.
- Appropriate terrain selection for introductory backcountry tours.
- Basic use of avalanche safety equipment.
- Communication and group management skills in avalanche terrain.
In Utah, all instruction on snow occurs in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest under a Special Use Permit issued to Utah Mountain Adventures.
Find rates for indoor and outdoor instruction here.