Format: 2 hours classroom plus a Full day
Designed for people with some prior splitboarding experience, this course is an opportunity to develop and apply more specialized backcountry touring skills. During a classroom workshop and time on the snow, clients will focus on tour planning, terrain selection, route finding, and efficient travel techniques. Guides and clients will also discuss weather and snowpack factors that lead to avalanche hazard, and time will be spent refining avalanche rescue skills. Step up your splitboarding game!
Objectives: Upon completion of the Advanced Splitboard Skills course, clients will understand:
- Splitboard tour planning skills, including terrain selection, use of weather and avalanche forecasts, and other logistical information.
- Conservative route finding abilities and group management techniques while splitboarding in avalanche terrain.
- Identification of avalanche terrain and weather and snowpack factors that lead to avalanche hazard.
- Mock avalanche rescue using standard avalanche safety equipment.
- Communication and other outdoor leadership skills.
In Utah, all instruction on snow occurs in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest under a Special Use Permit issued to Utah Mountain Adventures.
Find rates for indoor and outdoor instruction here.